Saturday, February 18, 2012

My solution to life: Music

I am a music lover, no, music is a part of me. When you watch someone playing a piece, and they make really weird faces and move around while they play, you might think something might be wrong with them, or they are just plain weird. But this is the music taking over them. This is when the player stops playing for you and starts playing for the sake of making beautiful music. This is when they stop thinking about how, when, and where the music is made.

When I perform, I do it for the sheer joy of it. I do it because I love to make beautiful music. When I sit down to practice, I sit for 15 minutes making all sorts of sounds and tunes before I ever look at my scales and etudes. Doesn't help me in my lesson, but I have a whole lot of fun! I just need to do that after I practice my goal time. Which, unfortunately, never happens. I love playing, but I hate practicing. Someday, I'll find a way to make myself love practicing.
One of my solutions to life:

Learn to love making music, listening to music, cello, playing cello, music theory, lessons, hard music, sight-reading, the circle of fifths with relative minors, shifting from one string to another, thumb position, etudes, double-stops, vibrato, that sound rosin makes on your bow, and practicing.

Do this, and life will be like a bowl of cello.



Sincerely,

Gracenotes

1 comment: